Connie Butler ’84

Robert Lehman Foundation Chief Curator of Drawings, Museum of Modern Art

Connie Butler ’84“My years at Scripps continue to resonate in every aspect of my professional and personal life. Involved in curatorial work since the Humanities Internship Program and Museum Studies at Pomona, my approach to contemporary art and culture is informed by the years I spent in rich and thought provoking classes in Art History, Humanities, Literature and Dance. When writing and thinking about art and working with living artists, it is vital to have a broad approach to history and a specific eye for new and provocative ideas. The nurturing and challenging environment of Scripps empowered me intellectually and personally in ways that I can rely on to inform my thinking. My Scripps friends and colleagues in the field are still among the most interesting and powerful women I know.”

Following her Master’s Degree in Art History at University California, Berkeley in 1987, Connie worked as the Associate Curator of the Des Moines Art Center in Iowa until 1989, curator of Artists Space from 1989-1992, then later as the curator of Contemporary Art at the Neuberger Museum of Art in New York from 1992-1995. Starting in January 1996, Connie was the Assistant Curator of the Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA) in Los Angeles, where she oversaw the construction and programming of the Works on Paper Study Center, which opened in 1998. As Assistant Curator, she also organized exhibitions and oversaw the growth of the permanent collection in the area of drawings, graphic works, and photographs. Connie is currently the Robert Lehman Foundation Chief Curator of Drawings at the Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) in New York.

Tags