Jennifer Brown ’00

Wallis Annenberg Curatorial Fellow, Los Angeles County Museum of Art

Jennifer Brown ’00

“The support, encouragement and, of course, formal education I received from my professors and peers at Scripps College continue to resonate in my professional and personal life. When I first stepped onto campus as an Art History major, I questioned my potential and was doubtful that I would be able to forge a successful career in the arts. I graduated in 2000 armed with a strong foundation in critical thinking, a new confidence in my own abilities, and the fortitude to seek and create opportunities for myself in every aspect of my life, including my educational goals, professional objectives and personal pursuits. As my career unfolds, I continually meet Scripps Alumnae who offer the same support and inspiration out in the “real world” that I found on campus. The Scripps community provides the foundation upon which my career is built and makes me a better person by expecting me to present my best self to the world to help other women realize their potential.”

Jennifer Spears Brown (’00) majored in Art History with an emphasis on Modern European and post-WWII American art. While at Scripps, she received the Michael and Jane Wilson Curatorial Internship at the Ruth Chandler Williamson Gallery. Jennifer also interned at the Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles, where she worked on the exhibition “Willem de Kooning: Tracing the Figure” (2002). She completed her Masters in Art History at the Courtauld Institute of Art in London in 2001 with an emphasis on Nationalism and National Identity in France, England and Germany, c. 1907-1945. Before commencing her doctoral studies in Modern and Contemporary Art at the Institute of Fine Arts, New York University, Jennifer spent two years as the Wallis Annenberg Curatorial Fellow at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. While there, Jennifer helped organize numerous exhibitions, including Jasper Johns: Numbers and Lee Mingwei’s “Through Masters’ Eyes.” Now a doctoral candidate, she is also working as a Graduate Assistant at Grey Art Gallery, New York University, where she is working on an exhibition focusing on African textiles as a means of expression in both traditional and contemporary art. This exhibition is being co-organized by the Grey Art Gallery and the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and will open in the Fall of 2008.

Tags