Wilson interns Kaela Nurmi and Shaina Raskin clean a La Semeuse medallion on the Scripps campus.
For information on applying for internships, please go to our internships page.
Academic Year Internships
Wilson and Turk Internships
Through the generosity of Jane Hurley Wilson ’64 and Michael Wilson and Elizabeth Robbins Turk ’83, Scripps students receive training in arts administration and art conservation as interns at the Ruth Chandler Williamson Gallery. The internships correspond with the academic year. The Turk internship is designed to give a Scripps student exposure to and experience in the field of art conservation, while the Wilson internship is geared toward giving the intern experience in curatorial duties, museum administration and at times, art conservation. The funds students receive from the internships are considered taxable income.
What the Internship Encompasses:
• Each week during the school year, (excluding holidays), each of the students devotes eight hours a week to the internship, schedule to be determined.
• The Wilson intern’s duties may include doing research on photographs, prints and paintings in the permanent collection, assisting with the conservation of sculptural and ceramic works, and writing grants and press releases. Strong organizational and writing skills a must.
• The Turk intern’s duties may include doing research on works in the permanent collection and assisting with the conservation of sculptural and ceramic works in the Scripps permanent collection. At times the intern will work with a conservator at Scripps and in Los Angeles. Chemistry courses and writing skills a must.
• Open to sophomore, junior and senior Scripps students.
• Must submit a written report before completion of the internship.
• Must be able to devote 8 hours a week.
• Must have a GPA of 3.0 or above.
• Must have taken courses in studio art, art history, and chemistry.
For more information, call Mary MacNaughton at (909) 607-3517. For further information regardingthe academic year internships, you may also contact Career Counselor Valinda Lee at Career Planning and Resources.